Now you can order vital records online 24/7!
Simply click on this link and enter the requested information.
With proper identification, birth records can be obtained in person or sent to you by mail. Due to the confidential nature of birth records, these documents may not be faxed or emailed.
According to Illinois law, to obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate, you must be one of the following:
- Of legal age (18 or an emancipated minor with certified court documents) if requesting your own.
- The mother or father (if listed on the certificate) of the child whose certificate is being requested.
- A legal guardian with certified court documentation providing verification of guardianship.
- An agent having a notarized letter from any of the above authorizing your access to the record (Click here for example)
- A legal representative, i.e. an attorney acting on behalf of the person named on the certificate (must have authorizing documentation)
- An agent authorized by power of attorney that specifically states that the record can be obtained.
- An agent approved by the State Registrar.
To make an online request for a birth record and pay with a credit card, click here.
To submit a request by mail, please use the Birth Certificate Request Form. Print and complete all information on the form including signature and a copy of your photo ID.
Requests may be mailed to:
Jersey County Clerk
P. O. Box 216
Jerseyville, IL 62052
- The fee to search for a birth record is $16. If the record is found, one certified copy is furnished.
- Additional copies of the same record issued at the same time are available for $8 each.
- Cash, checks, money orders, as well as MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover are accepted. A $2 service fee is added to credit/debit card transactions.
To obtain the birth record of a deceased person, please complete the required form and submit it to our office with the proper documentation.
Illinois law now allows people who were adopted to access their birth records. The Illinois Department of Public Health handles these requests.